Monday, April 12, 2010

Arrived safely

Hi All,

I arrived safely on Friday after a long, but very easy flight. Thus far my jet lag has been minimal but my allergies are in full swing! So thankful for allergy pills. The first day I got here, I was picked up by Jen, our operations manager and a bunch of other volunteers. We drove around Saigon and visited a market and the War Remnants museum. The photos there are really hard to look at but necessary to see anyway. When I was waiting in line for the restroom, two women came up and started "stroking" my arm. They LOVE my skin. After 27 years of hating my blue-white skin color in the US, it finally has an advantage here. I guess I finally found the place I should be!

We spent the night in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) on Friday night and had Mexican food and margaritas. Not bad for a country 6,000+ miles from Mexico. The other US volunteers were craving it and I imagine I will be too. This past weekend we visited the Mekong Delta and spent the night at a house built in 1888 with open-air rooms (with mosquito netting). They prepared all our meals, which turn out to be much greasier than I had expected. As the token vegetarian, I was given enough food to feed an army! We also took a boat to a floating market, visited "factories" that make several types of candy and soy sauce, cycled around an one of the islands, fed alligators and held a python. Today I'm headed to Nha Trang and then will arrive on Wed. in DaNang for my orientation.

Hope all is well. Will write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life goal is to visit a minimum of one country for every year of my life. If I live to be 100, then I hope to visit 100 countries! My first goal is to visit 30 countries by the end of my 30th year in February 2014. This blog will chronicle my journeys.