Monday, September 13, 2010

UNESCO!

I am happy to announce that I was selected for an internship with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, Education for Sustainable Development Unit in Bangkok, Thailand for three months next spring.  I'll be integrated into the unit as a junior member focusing on gender equality.

I realized a few days ago that I'll never be happy in a standard desk job, so I'm trying to find careers that will allow me to travel extensively, contribute to a global society and teach at the university level when possible. I was contemplating only spending 12 days in Malaysia and feeling that wasn't enough time,  before I come home at Christmas, and realized that's usually my vacation allotment for the year back home. I love volunteering, I love learning about new cultures, eating new types of food and understanding different traditions. I love understanding what makes people happy in one culture and how that is similar or different to another culture. I love looking for ways to solve problems I encounter and sharing ideas with others who are equally passionate. I want all of these things to be part of my career. One option is to become CELTA-certified and teach at a university program somewhere outside the States. I'm also taking the foreign service officer exam and looking into options in that field. I could also go back for my PhD either in the US or abroad, and study developing countries. Once I left the US, I realized the possibilities are endless. Travel is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My life goal is to visit a minimum of one country for every year of my life. If I live to be 100, then I hope to visit 100 countries! My first goal is to visit 30 countries by the end of my 30th year in February 2014. This blog will chronicle my journeys.